Eta Sigma Gamma (ESG)
Eta Sigma Gamma (ESG) is a National Health Education Honorary comprised of health professionals and health science / health education students. The JMU chapter (Sigma) members support the mission of promoting health through teaching, researching and leading community service activities.Eta Sigma Gamma provides the opportunity to exercise leadership. With guidance from a chapter sponsor and cooperation from chapter members, student leaders can develop leadership skills and provide direction for their peers. These leadership qualities have proven to be ingredients for success
Some of the ESG Sigma Chapter annual projects include:
- Research study on Personal Safety on and off campus
- Special Olympics
- Canned food / book drive
- Chapter events (team building, apple/pumpkin picking, Arboretum, and more!)
- Team participation in local 5K events advocating for various health issues.
- Eta Sigma Gamma Health Education / Promotion Bulletin Board on the 3rd floor of HHS*
* The Bulletin Board is updated every month and displays our monthly calendar plus a health topic of the month.
During the Spring 2015 semester, meetings are held every other Thursday @ 6:00pm. Please note the room number with each date.
Spring 2015 Meeting Dates and Locations:
- Jan. 29 at 6pm in HHS 1208
- Feb. 12 at 6pm in HHS 1208
- Feb. 26 at 6pm in HHS 1208
- Mar. 19 at 6pm in HHS 2202
- Apr. 2 at 6pm in HHS 2202
- Apr. 16 at 6pm in HHS 2202
To become a member of Eta Sigma Gamma and maintain membership, you must:
- Be a declared as a Health Sciences major
- Pay $60 annual dues
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.7 (must maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA after initiation)
- Participate in the set minimum number of required service events each semester (this includes meetings)
Additional Benefits of Membership and Dues
- Each member, upon initiation, receives a certificate of membership, membership card and the official pin of the honorary.
- In addition, membership includes a subscription to The Health Educator and The Health Education Monograph Series. This affords an excellent vehicle for sharing ideas about the profession.
ESG – Sigma Chapter Contacts:
Faculty Advisor: Dr. Theresa M. Enyeart Smith
President: Sigouney Wheeler
Vice President: Erin Sprouse
Additional Informational Links:
- How to declare a Health Sciences Major
- Health Sciences has BLACKOUT dates of September 15th and February 15th. You must be declared by September 15th to add HTH courses in the following Spring semester and by February 15th for the following Fall semester. There are NO exceptions.
- May 4-6
Welcome from Health Sciences
Health is one of the most important disciplines in today’s world. Given the current and future global demand for well trained and passionate health professionals, now is an ideal time to study in our department. We urge you to learn about our programs to see where your future ambitions fit. More >