Eta Sigma Gamma (ESG)
Eta Sigma Gamma (ESG) is a National Health Education Honorary comprised of health professionals and health science / health education students. The JMU chapter (Sigma) members support the mission of promoting health through teaching, researching and leading community service activities.
Eta Sigma Gamma provides the opportunity to exercise leadership. With guidance from a chapter sponsor and cooperation from chapter members, student leaders can develop leadership skills and provide direction for their peers. These leadership qualities have proven to be ingredients for success.
Some of the ESG Sigma Chapter annual projects include:
- Research study on Personal Safety on and off campus
- Special Olympics
- Canned food / book drive
- Chapter events (team building, apple/pumpkin picking, Arboretum, and more!)
- Team participation in local 5K events advocating for various health issues.
- Eta Sigma Gamma Health Education / Promotion Bulletin Board on the 3rd floor of HBS*
* The Bulletin Board is updated every month and displays our monthly calendar plus a health topic of the month.
To become a member of Eta Sigma Gamma and maintain membership, you must:
- Be declared as any health major (examples: health sciences, health education, kinesiology, pre-professionals, etc.)
- Pay $60 annual dues ($30/semester; $60/year)
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.7 (must maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA after initiation)
- Participate in the set minimum number of required service events each semester (this includes meetings)
Additional Benefits of Membership and Dues
- Each member, upon initiation, receives a certificate of membership, membership card and the official pin of the honorary.
- In addition, membership includes a subscription to The Health Educator and The Health Education Monograph Series. This affords an excellent vehicle for sharing ideas about the profession.
- Seniors will receive graduation cords (already paid for).
ESG – Sigma Chapter Contacts:
Faculty Advisor: Dr. Theresa M. Enyeart Smith